Top Tips from Designers on Choosing the Right Curtains
for your Home
As any interior designer will tell you, curtains make a room — but only when chosen correctly. When it comes to choosing the ideal window treatments for your space, a lot of factors need to be taken into consideration. We understand that choosing the right curtains that tick all the boxes can be an intimidating and tedious task, so we have asked our designers to break it down for you! Happy shopping!
Pick out the Right Fabric
When you go for curtain shopping, the exorbitant choice of fabrics can leave you overwhelmed. From sheer lace to lightweight cotton, medium-weight brocades to heavy velvet, the options are far and aplenty. Here are a few factors to keep in mind before you get swept away:
- Purpose: Consider the purpose of the curtains before you choose the fabric. Is it for privacy, light control, insulation, or decoration? For example, a sheer fabric would be suitable for decoration or to let light in, while a heavy fabric like velvet would be suitable for insulation and privacy.
- Room: Consider the room where the curtains will be hung. A bedroom would need curtains that offer privacy and light control, while a living room may require curtains that are more decorative.
- Style: The style of the curtains should complement the overall décor of the room. For example, if your room has a traditional décor, heavy fabrics like silk or velvet may work well, while a modern décor may benefit from a lighter fabric like linen.
- Care: Consider the care and maintenance required for the fabric. Some fabrics may require dry cleaning or special care, while others can be machine washed.
- Budget: The cost of the fabric should also be considered. Some fabrics like silk or velvet can be more expensive than others like cotton or polyester.
Choose the Right Color
Wondering how to choose the perfect curtain color for your home? Here’s what to consider:
- First and foremost, look at the existing color scheme of the room. The curtains should complement the walls, furniture, and decor. For a subtle look, choose curtains in the same color family as the walls. For a more vibrant look, choose curtains in a contrasting color that matches the accent pieces in the room.
- Think About the Mood: The curtains can set the mood of the room. Light and sheer curtains give a room a romantic and dreamy feel, while darker, heavier curtains create a cozy and warm atmosphere. Decide what mood you want to create before choosing the color of the curtains.
- Assess the Lighting: The amount of natural light in the room should also be considered when choosing curtain colors. If the room receives plenty of natural light, darker shades can help balance out the brightness. On the other hand, if the room is dark, brighter colors can help make it feel livelier.
- Look at the Size of the Room: The size of the room is also important when choosing curtain color. Lighter colors tend to make a room feel more spacious, while darker colors can make a room feel smaller and more intimate.
- Decide on a Pattern or Solid: Solid curtains can create a more cohesive and modern look, while patterned curtains can add visual interest and texture to a room. Consider the existing patterns and textures in the room before choosing a patterned curtain.
- Consider the Season: Seasonal colors can be a great way to update the look of a room without major changes. Bright and bold colors are perfect for summer, while warm and cozy colors are ideal for the winter months.
- Experiment and Have Fun: Lastly, don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with your curtain color choice. It’s an opportunity to express your personality and add a personal touch to your space. Try out different colors and patterns until you find the perfect match.
Choose The Best Way to Hang the Curtains
Once you have bought the perfect curtains for your space, it’s time to style them. There are multiple ways in which you can style your curtains such as:
- Standard Curtain Rod: This is the most traditional way of hanging curtains. A standard curtain rod can be mounted above the window frame and the curtains can be hung on rings, hooks, or tabs.
- Tension Rod: This type of curtain rod can be installed without any hardware or screws. It works by expanding to fit the window frame and is ideal for lightweight curtains.
- Double Rod: A double rod is used when you want to hang two curtains at the same time. It is perfect for layering curtains or hanging sheer curtains behind heavier drapes.
- Ceiling-Mounted Rod: A ceiling-mounted rod is a great option for windows with high ceilings or for creating a room divider. The curtains hang from the ceiling instead of the wall.
- Traverse Rod: A traverse rod is perfect for heavy or long curtains. It operates by a cord or wand and allows the curtains to open and close without being manually handled.
- Tab-Top Curtains: These curtains have fabric loops sewn into the top, allowing them to be hung directly onto a rod. They are easy to install and have a casual, relaxed look.
- Grommet Curtains: Grommet curtains have large metal rings that are sewn into the top of the fabric. The rings slide onto the curtain rod and create a modern and contemporary look.
- Sconces: Sconces are a unique way to hang curtains. They are wall-mounted brackets that hold the curtain rod and can be decorative or functional.
- Rope or String: For a bohemian or rustic look, curtains can be hung from a rope or string that is mounted above the window. The curtains can be clipped or tied onto the rope for a unique and unconventional look.